Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Onions and Oceans

To read the introductory post to this series, please click here.

It happened twice today. I was visiting websites, still trying to get my mind around this whole idea of human trafficking and feeling very overwhelmed by what I was seeing and reading, and I found myself ready to click to sign up. Not sure what for, but I was ready to go, do, give, fight.

Here's the thing: as I realize and begin to grasp the complexity of this issue, I begin to realize that my prayers have got to change, become more sophisticated. Not because God demands it, but because the situation does. For example, I was praying for Vietnamese women who are trafficked out of the country at an alarming rate each year. And I was praying mostly for the situation in Vietnam (the police and government, for the country's attitude about life and women, etc.), then I read that the majority of them are smuggled to China to meet the demands for arranged marriages with Chinese men. So, I then had a whole other set of things to pray for concerning the Chinese side of this coin!

The layers and complexities come like waves, and it's hard to know how to keep up, but then I'm reminded that I'm praying about this to a God who understands all the interworkings of every one of the situations to the ultimate degree. He knows and is intimately associated with every person, every situation, every connection. And I'm thankful that I have a God like that to pray to about these kinds of things.

No comments: