Monday, March 16, 2009

A Wee Lil' Reading

Here's the thing: in college I was an English major, and one semester I took a class on Irish Literature because I'd never read anything particularly Irish before, and I fell in love with the writing. Coincedentally, I took a class on Southern lit. during the same semester, and saw all kinds of connections between the two, but that's a seperate story.

At any rate, I thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite novels in case you're wanting to get into the spirit of things for St. Patrick's Day. All of these are fiction, and they aren't in any particular order.

1. A Star Called Henry (by Roddy Doyle) -- I like this novel because it makes history accessible, and gives a really good look into the mindset of lower-class/poor Irish city dwellers around the turn of the 20th century.

2. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (by Roddy Doyle) -- Completely different feel from A Star Called Henry, but I think it brings out much of the humor in Irish lit.

3. Ireland (by Frank Delany) -- This is a long one, but you will never understand the Irish love affair with storytelling until you read this novel.

4. The Giant O'Brien (by Hilary Mantel) -- This one is a must to get the folklore and magic that is a big part of Irish literature, and it also symbolizes the contrast between Ireland as a land of arts and mystery, and England as the cold empire of science and reason trying to wipe out Ireland's culture.

All of these novels are at times raw and rough, and that in itself gives insight into the culture and perceptions of the people. So, pop open a Guiness and enjoy!

No comments: