Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Happy Medium: The Balancing Act

As you know, I've been listening to Chris Rice's CD What a Heart Is Beating For, and I'm just blown away that God in his merciful Providence sent this CD my way at this particular time. I've read the liner notes in the CD booklet, and Rice doesn't really say what the album as a whole is supposed to be about, so I'm going to take that as liberty to come up with my own theory. What I'm learning from the songs is that there is a lot of joy in the Christian life, and it's okay to enjoy it and be happy.

See, for most of my life, I've bounced between two extremes. One is that the Christian is supposed to "rejoice in all circumstances," no matter what those circumstances are, and that your lack of joy or rejoicing is somehow a lack of faith in Christ and therefore sinful. The other is that suffering is real, this world is sinful, the Christian life is a race, and believing in God's sovereignty almost becomes fatalistic so that you start to shut down all emotion. . .just in case the other shoe drops. Both of these are wrong.

Over the past few months, there's seemingly been little in my life to rejoice about, and yet, Chris' songs have reminded me that there is much to be thankful for and even happy about, even in the midst of suffering, trials, and the storms of this life. The first track is titled, "So Much for My Sad Song," and it's about a guy who decides before he ever gets out of bed to write a sad song. . .in other words, no matter what, he's gonna be in a bad mood! And so often I find myself feeling this way. Here's the thing: I am very good at living in the first half of the "Lament Psalms," you know, all the "woe is me," "My God, why have you forsaken me," parts. And while there's nothing unbiblical or sinful about this attitude, I have to be balanced enough to make it to the end of those same psalms where David (or one of the other authors) chooses praise and finds his heart inclined to singing and praising before the Lord.

The singing and praising comes, not from denial about the circumstances we find ourselves, and it's certainly not out of a feeling that if we try hard enough to be happy and joyful, we will be. Instead, like Chris' song says, "Let's make this a love song, instead, 'cause I'm so in love with you." The praising comes from this deep, passionate love affair that's going on, through the good times and bad, with our God who is in control.

No comments: