Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Oasis, Next 3 Exits

Have you ever been reading through the Old Testament and just marveled at how quickly the Israelites go from seeing God work in tremendous ways on their behalf, to falling into despair over the the new hard situation that's presented itself? It really is just amazing to me that God can do so many miraculous things before the people, that prove his love and care for them, and yet they forget over and over again.

Here's the thing: it amazes me in the present-day as well. This doesn't mean I can't find myself in this place as well, but it really is pretty shocking to talk to friends and realize they have completely forgotten, or at least seem have completely forgotten all that God has done for them in the past. They're facing a crisis (to varying degrees), and it's like the God they're trusting in is brand new. It's his first day on the job, and there's no guarantee that he'll be there for them. It breaks my heart. Not because I'm sad for God. He can take it. But because I'm sad for all the time, energy, and emotion that's being spent worrying and wondering if God is going to show up, when he's already proven time and time again that he will.

1 comment:

Jason J said...

You're right my friend. It is amazing how we continue to go back over and over, like a dog to it's own vomit...and if we'd just remember, or look back we can see so clearly that God always provides in the hard times and in good, no matter the situation. I'm still learning this, boy am I ever, however, I know I'm not alone in this battle.