Friday, April 25, 2008

Behind the Music

As I've said in posts before, I can be pretty hard on "Christian music," but CCLI -- that's the folks you have to pay if you want to print and use a praise song in worship -- posted a list of the top 25 praise songs that were paid for to be used in churches in Feb. http://www.ccli.com/usa/LicenseHolder/Top25Lists.aspx, and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. I mean, other than a couple of man-centered, surfacy songs, I'm so pleased to see that these are the songs folks are singing in churches all over America each Sunday morning, Saturday night, Tuesday afternoons, whenever your church has its weekly corporate worship service.

Here's the thing: you can tell a lot about the mindset of a church by the songs they sing. It really matters. It's nice to see a majority of songs being sung about God and his character, because the more time focused on him, the less time we're focused on ourselves. The less time we're focused on ourselves, the better!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did anyone else get a vision of Jesus flipping tables over in the temple? :) seriously though...i realize Christian organizations need $ to operate. But there is a line. The other side of that line would be?? a church charging for parking on a gameday? (still holding a grudge)

JNoah said...

I agree with you Kevin, and it's on my list of things to be angry about. At this point, though, I'm more angry about the fact that I have a list of things to be angry about than the fact that these people charge churches to use songs.

Anybody know a good remedy for getting logs out of eyes?