Monday, February 2, 2009

Easy for YOU to Say. . .

One of the funnier side effects of all the sleep issues I've been dealing with is my speech. It typically happens later in the afternoon or at night, and it manifests itself in a few different ways.

The first way is that sometimes I actually can't put a sentence together. The words come out, but they don't come out in order or connected. It sounds a little something like this, "Yeah, it's like me too." Now, that would be fine if I was a surfer from southern California responding to a question and I added a "fur sure" on the end, but since I live in Alabama and am responding to someone who just said, "I really liked that movie" it tends not to make much sense.

The second way it shows up is stuttering. I've never really had an issue with stuttering or stammering, but all of a sudden I can't get the words out! Sometimes it's the first letter, but more often it's the entire word. I get about halfway through and have to start over. It's cu-cu-cu-curazy!

But, here's the thing: the last one is probably my favorite. That's when I start talking 90 miles-an-hour, like I'm on speed. I did this to a friend of mine the other night on the way home from work. I called her, and just went on and on and on, finally taking a breath to hear her laughing on the other end of the phone! Trust me, of the three, you definitely want the guy on speed to show up. It's much more fun and less frustrating than the other two.

So, next time you see me, and it's afternoon or evening, roll the dice and say "hi." Who knows what you'll get?!

No comments: