Sunday, November 30, 2008

I GET to Choose!

Have you ever chosen to "set your love on someone"? A friend of mine used the phrase about two weeks ago, and it really struck me. We were talking about a friend of mine, and I was describing how cool it is when you just decide you're going to love someone. I mean, when you just make the choice to love someone no matter what. It actually makes life a lot easier with that person, because so many questions are already answered. Well, what about if they do this? Love 'em. Yeah, but what about if you get treated like this? Love 'em still. I know, but what I'm saying is, what if they do this and this and this and do it over and over and over again? Um, the answer is, love 'em over and over and over again. Now, it doesn't necessarily make the circumstances any easier, but it sure gives you a great battle plan for moving forward.



Here's the thing: this is exactly what God has done to me. He has chosen, of his own free will, to set his love on me. Despite what I'll do in the future, which he even has the disadvantage of knowing about! Regardless of whether I reciprocate this love or not. He just loves me. That's all. It's an amazing concept, and one which we as humans are obviously not able to duplicate perfectly, but one which I think we can and should try to emulate as much as possible, and not just with our spouses. It's something I'm still learning a lot about and thinking about, but it just blows me away to think about this in terms of my own life and relationship with God. He has "set his love on me." Wow! That will give me hope to get out of bed in the morning. That will allow me to face the struggles of this world with joy.

No comments: