Saturday, November 29, 2008

Caroling, Caroling

One of the best parts of the Christmas season is the music. I mean, I just love Christmas music! Try as I might to wait until after Thanksgiving to start listening, I just can't wait. I've loved the carols ever since I was a little kid, and I know all the verses to all of them by heart. They are as familiar as the other traditions of the season. . . and therein lies the problem. Because I know them so well, it becomes so easy for me to sing the songs without ever hearing the words I'm singing. So here's the thing: I thought I'd take a few posts this season with some of my favorite carols, and things that stand out to me about the words, so hopefully when you're singing them in church or at a party this year, you'll actually stop and think about what you're saying and in a sense, be re-introduced to the wonder of these songs. If I know of a really good version of the song I'll let you know that as well. Most times, for me, I just need a version that's a slightly different tune or rhythmn, just to force me to engage and pay attention to what I'm singing.

I'll be titling each post "Caroling, Caroling" and then the song. They'll also be under the "Advent/Christmas" and "Christmas Carols" labels, so you can find them easy. Enjoy!

3 comments: