Sunday, April 12, 2009

Serenaded

I just finished watching an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. The father of the family being helped was in the hospital fighting brain cancer as the episode was being filmed, and he wasn't able to be with the family at the reveal. The family has seven children, six of whom have special needs and have been adopted from China. As a final surprise for the family, the show had invited Stevie Wonder to come and sing for them. He sang a special version of his song, "I Just Called to Say I Love You." Here's how he tweaked the chorus:
I am here, because he (the father) loves you.
I am here, because I know he cares.
I am here, because he loves you.
And he means it from the bottom of his heart.

Here's the thing: I sat there with tears rolling down my face, as I realized this was the perfect way to finish Easter Sunday, because this is Christ's song to me about my Father as well. This is the song he sang while he was here on earth, and this is the song he sings to me everyday of my life. He looks at me with all my sin and special needs. He looks at me with my fears and doubts and lack of faith. He looks at me with all my messups and "do overs," and "try again's," and he softly, gently, sings to me, "Jason, I am here, because he loves you. I am here, because I know he cares. I am here, because he loves you. And he means it from the bottom of his heart."

O that I would hear that song being sung over me and everyone who is being saved.

No comments: