Thursday, December 11, 2008

Where's the GPS?

Micah, one of the Old Testament prophets writes, "But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days." (Micah 5:2)

See, here's the thing: nothing big should have happened in Bethlehem. No major historical events that would alter the course of the entire universe should have had their beginnings in this little village. Not because there was anything necessarily wrong with Bethlehem, but because it was so tiny, the runt of the litter. And yet, here it is, immortalized for all of eternity, as the place God chose to have his Son born. He had to bring a ruler to power that would order a census to be taken, and even before that, he had to make sure that generations back, Joseph's family originated in Bethlehem, so that when everyone went back to their home cities, Joseph would go to the right place.

But, Bethlehem?! It's the most unappealing choice. It was small. It was unimportant. It was, exactly the kind of ridiculous choice that God would have made! As I think about the choice of Bethlehem and how odd it is, I'm filled with a renewed sense of wonder and hope in a God who uses things that no one really wants or expects much from to house himself. I mean, I read that verse from Micah, and I realize, "I am Bethlehem!" I'm too insignificant, I'm too lowly to be considered anything by the world, and yet I am the place where God chose for his Son to dwell. What a wonderfully absurd truth is brought out by the town of Bethlehem.

No comments: