Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunday School Leftovers: Sometimes Sovereignty Sucks

Yesterday, we started off the lesson watching one of my favorite Christmas shows of all time: "A Charlie Brown Christmas." There's so much we could say about that scene with Linus and Charlie Brown on the wall. I said that we all need to have a Linus in our lives to listen to us and then speak truth, just like he did for Charlie Brown, but the thing I didn't have time to mention was the aspect of Linus' character that is so obvious. Go back and watch the scene, and notice what our little theologian, our little truth-speaker is doing the whole time he's listening the Charlie Brown: he's sucking his thumb and clinging to his blanket. It's such a great scene, because it once again reminds me that we are all broken. Everyone of us has our blankets and our thumbs that we cling to at times instead of Christ, and yet just like Linus, we must not let our own sins and our own weaknesses prevent us from encouraging and speaking truth to those around us who are struggling.

What our brothers and sisters in Christ need to see. What those outside the body of Christ need to see, are Christians who listen, who speak truth, who encourage, while it being very obvious that we don't have it all together and figured out.

4 comments:

Julie A. said...

Where's "the thing" this time? I feel like I'm looking for Waldo; he's there but I keep overlooking it.

JNoah said...

That's funny. You didn't miss it, I don't put it in the Sunday School stuff. Keep lookin' though, it should be there otherwise.

Julie A. said...

I am SO confused!

JNoah said...

Julie A.: Why are you confused? About the "Here's the Thing:" or about something else?

If I'm posting something Sunday School related, I don't use the "Here's the Thing" 'cause it's usually quick and too dang hard to come up with. If I'm posting non-Sunday School stuff (you know, my PROFOUND thoughts :) I use it 'cause I have time to think through it all.) Hope that helps. I don't want you to be confused about the blog. There's too much other stuff in life to be confused about!