Monday, July 28, 2008

Who's Confused. . . Raise Your Hand

It's no wonder the world is confused by Christians. So much of the time what we say we believe is so utterly different than the way we live, it's enough to give anyone a headache. The other day, a lady at the church where I work was proofing something, and said, "I want to make sure we get his named spelled right. After all, our names are our most precious possessions." Really? Hmm, I thought Christ was. I guess I was wrong. Newsflash! Attention all Christians (and any non-Christians left listening to this mess): despite what the Bible teaches and regardless of what you've always believed, Christ is no longer the most precious, most valuable thing in your life. Instead, you may now value your name, given by your fallible, sinful parents more than you do the Incarnate Word of God. Of course, if the woman who so carelessly made that comment read this post she'd probably say, "Well, I didn't really mean that," (so you're insincere) or "I meant our most precious earthly possession," (in which case you still got it wrong!).

Here's the thing: we confuse the world around us when we make statements like that, and they really do matter. I mean, we either believe this stuff we're talking about, or we don't. I just want to get to the place where Christ is so valuable and precious to me that I wouldn't have to worry about making a statement like that, because it wouldn't happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a bit abrasive; dont you think?

JNoah said...

Anonymous: I so appreciate you're responding to this poast. Abrasive? Yeah, probably it was. If I was harsher than needed I apologize. I guess I figured I had some leg to stand on because I say stuff all the time without thinking through what I'm really saying. (Please see my very first blog "Hypocriscy is an Art" for my confession to being a hypocrite.) So, I probably wasn't the most compassionate, simply because I'm not very compassionate to my own self in this area.

On the other hand, I do think there's a good bit of frustration that wells up in me when I see Christians, those who claim to follow Christ, treating Christ and the things of the Divine so carelessly. I mean, this is supposedly the God we worship, say we would give our lives for, and yet he is somehow second or third on the list? It doesn't make sense to me, and it is more than a little frustrating.

Keep responding. I love it! But, I would hope that, especially if you know me, you will identify yourself in the future. You have the right, of course, to remain anonymous, but doing so also requires little acountability for your comments, welcome though they may be.