Friday, July 11, 2008

Good Grief






I am so thankful for Charles Schultz. If you don't recognize that name right away, he's the guy who drew and wrote the Peanuts comic strip. You know, Linus, Charlie Brown, and Snoopy. Over the past week I've been feeling very "Charlie Brown-ish," and today somebody asked me what does "Charlie Brown-ish" feel like. I actually think one of the classic Peanuts moments captures what I'm feeling best. It's one of the great running gags of all time. Lucy promises Charlie Brown that she'll hold the football for him so he can kick it. He doubts her, but she convinces him that she will in fact hold it for him. . . this time! So, trusting Charlie Brown, gets way back, runs as hard as he can toward the ball, and every, single time Lucy pulls the ball away just as Charlie's about to kick it. His legs go out from under him, and he flys through the air, yelling, and screaming, and falls flat on his back, usually to have Lucy come over and say something sarcastic to him.
It's so great because it happens over and over again, and I always laugh. Here's the thing: this is what I feel like right now. It's not biblical, in my head I know it's not the truth, but right now I am in a constant state of either flying through the air, or being on my back. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I just never realized that life could be one, big "Lucy." I'm ready for a new game. This football thing is killing me!


No comments: