Monday, March 17, 2008

What's So Funny?

This is a link to an article from MSNBC.COM about how late night comics have had a field-day with Eliot Spitzer's situation in NY: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23583275/. Okay, we're not surprised by this, right? This is, for better or worse, what these guys do for a living. They see a situation in which someone has built his profession life as a moral crusader, prosecuting cases with "righteousness," and now it's discovered he's been doing some of the very things he seemed to be against all these years, and they tap into what most people feel when secrets like this are exposed, and we thankfully discover they're not our own: we're shocked, we shrug our shoulders, and then, we laugh.

What's sad is that I fear many Christians may have the same reaction, or worse. We may go past laughing into self-righteousness and hypocrisy. "Well, that's what happens when you live that kind of life." We sit back, so relieved that our own sins are not the ones being paraded on the front page of The New York Times, talked about by Matt and Meredith on the Today show, and being joked about by Letterman, that we easily listen to the lies of Satan who whispers, "Look, we all know you've got issues in your life, but you're sins aren't as bad as Spitzer's, right? I mean, really, you're better than him." And we take the bait.

I have no idea whether Gov. Spitzer is a believer or not. I have no idea whether there is anyone in his life right now, trying desperately to love him to Christ. What I do know is, that it's not funny. It's not even a little bit humorous, and I open myself up to any of you for rebuke if you hear me making light of this situation in the future.

See, here's the thing: I'm a mess, and I need lots and lots of help. . . and realizing that and admitting that doesn't make me more spiritual. Hopefully though, it will make me more humble.

No comments: