Tuesday, June 9, 2009

School Days

Here's the thing that's going on in my life right now: I started teaching a course at ITT Tech in Birmingham, during the Spring Quarter. After my last class, the Associate Dean offered me a full-time teaching position, starting in the Summer Quarter! So, I am now working at ITT Tech as the full-time English Comp. instructor. My first day was Monday, and so far it feels a little bit like I'm riding the rapids on white-water rafting trip: a little out of control, feeling like the boat could tip over at any minute, but having a blast! I have a full teaching load this quarter, six classes, so I'll definitely be getting my feet wet.

Most of the students who attend ITT are working full-time or returning back to school, so there are a lot of evening and night classes, and some tired faces when I walk in to start class. Add on top of that the fact that I'm teaching English and Writing, neither of which are typically held in high esteem at a technical school, and it's definitely a challenge. So far, though, it's worked, and the students are responding amazingly. (As students often do!)

I'm sure that lots of posts will come as a result of class discussions, so I wanted to give this as an intro. to what's to come. I have a feeling, I'm the one likely to get the most education in this deal.

1 comment:

Max said...

I can't help but be a little happy (and a little smug) about this turn of events! Good luck! I know first-hand that you'll be great at this! You're being called, dude...I'm just sayin'. :-)